Monday, November 28, 2011

Some Thoughts on Art and Holiday Gifts

I've been thinking....as I begin packing my treasures, yet again, for another move.....about the things I have kept as I move through my downsizing saga....my great grandmother's cameo, an oil painting that some kids back from a trip to Europe gave me as a thank you gift, the blue print my dad made of my face when I was 3, a rather mount doomy charcoal someone did for my other grandmother, an odd family crest ring from a long gone uncle, a print my parents gave me years ago titled "Solitary Splendor"....how did they know?....a color blanket my Mom wove,  the Waldorf doll my youngest son and I made to help him cope with his older brother going off to college, the beautiful "Scottish piece" that will most likely be in storage for years, a funky pottery bowl my daugher gave me after a rough patch during her teenage years, the reindeer my oldest son made from some sticks....and suddenly it struck me that all my treasures are art......with stories.
So....just a thought as you do your holiday shopping....the things that stay are not the gadgets and gizmos....it's the hand knit christmas stocking, the hand carved salad bowl, the hand painted abstract with the title that stirs something in your soul, the hand embroidered table runner, the hand made mugs....the things with the hands...they are the treasures....buy art!

No comments:

Post a Comment