Monday, March 19, 2012

To The Girl Who Bought The Horse Picture

Two days a week I work at an art co-op. Last weekend I had the most amazing experience...right up there with working as a delivery room nurse....a young girl came into the collective and was captivated by a large black and white photo of a horse sort of in mid mane toss...she tried to talk the artist down...no go...and then tried to leave....but she kept coming back to look at the picture. On her third attempt to leave I told her how art is the thing...it's the only thing of lasting value...the thing we pass down to our children, nieces, nephews...it is why we go to work...to pay for the art of the clothing designer, the art of the architect of our home, the artist who designed that perfect rug.....she bought the print! Now, I imagine her trying it on different walls in her apartment...her first statement of this-is-me in a sea of, greatly appreciated, hand me downs....I see her moving over the years and always hanging it in just-the-right-spot...I see it over her first baby's crib.....I see 100.00 well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment