Monday, September 3, 2012

A Falling Squirrel and Sleeping With the Splat Swatter

I was driving down my road yesterday when a squirrel fell from the heavens and landed SMACK on my windshield, slid down the hood and went under the car.....I was, to say the least, surprised.  Before I really had time to react, he ran out from under the car and ran the rest of the way down the road right in front of me.  Odd...first the wild turkeys and now a squirrel...they don't seem to realize they could save us all heart problems and just scamper off into the woods.
Last night was one of those I-can't-turn-my-brain-off-and-sleep kind of nights.  So I turned on my light and read for a while. (Note to self....Dear Jenny, never be near the only light in the house at night...you will be attacked.)
A big (really big) green bug with bulgy eyes and long grasshopper-like legs landed on my head.  There was some screaming and a St Vitus type dance. I ended up at the foot of the bed....the creature landed on the head board and just sat there.  I must say there was a creepy sort of cuteness to it...I tried to catch it in the alarm clock bowl (it's a zen clock with a singing bowl) but I couldn't remember where I'd left my glasses so I missed......it hopped and flew and skittered around and landed on my pillow.  I ran down the stairs (something I promised myself I would never do because, well, I'm a bit accident prone) and got the bug swatter that I bought on a whim from K-Mart because it's in the shape of a big SPLAT, and ran (I know) back up the stairs and smacked it good.
I'm sure if I had run across this big green bug outside I would have thought it was cute ...perhaps taken it's picture and gone on with my day...but seriously....in my bed?
Now when I go to bed I'll keep the splat swatter next to me just in case.
FYI...my big dog Rufus watched the entire disaster from the comfort of his bed.

3 comments: